Poison Oak Soap
This truly amazing product prevents poison oak or poison ivy even after exposure. When used after contact, most people never get a rash at all, and even after a rash has started, healing is greatly accelerated. The mechanical action of the soap pulls poison oak and poison ivy oils off the skin, while herbs with a natural antihistamine action helps stop itching and redness. Other herbs promote healing of the skin. A completely natural blend of oils, herbs, extracts, clay, oatmeal, and glycerin soap. No dyes, artificial ingredients, or scents. The Oregon Highway Dept. buys over 2,000 bars every year for its employees.
Approximately 85 percent of the population will develop an allergic reaction if exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Nearly one-third of forestry workers and firefighters who battle forest fires in California, Oregon and Washington develop rashes or lung irritations from contact with poison oak, which is the most common of the three in those states.
Usually, people develop a sensitivity to poison ivy, oak or sumac only after several encounters with the plants, sometimes over many years. However, sensitivity may occur after only one exposure.
The cause of the rash, blisters, and infamous itch is urushiol (pronounced oo-roo-shee-ohl), a chemical in the sap of poison ivy, oak and sumac plants. Because urushiol is inside the plant, brushing against an intact plant will not cause a reaction. But undamagedplants are rare.
You can get the oil on your skin by:
- touching the poison ivy plant
- touching any clothing, including shoes, that have come in contact with the plant.
- touching any gardening tools that may have the oil on it.
- touching any outdoor pets that have been around poison ivy and have gotten the oil on their hair.
- burning the poison ivy plant. The oil from the plant is carried in the smoke.
"Poison oak, ivy and sumac are very fragile plants," says William L. Epstein, M.D., professor of dermatology, University of California, San Francisco. Stems or leaves broken by the wind or animals, and even the tiny holes made by chewing insects, can release urushiol.
Reactions, treatments and preventive measures are the same for all three poison plants. Avoiding direct contact with the plants reduces the risk but doesn't guarantee against a reaction. Urushiol can stick to pets, garden tools, balls, or anything it comes in contact with. If the urushiol isn't washed off those objects or animals, just touching them--for example, picking up a ball or petting a dog--could cause a reaction in a susceptible person. (Animals, except for a few higher primates, are not sensitive to urushiol.)
Urushiol that's rubbed off the plants onto other things can remain potent for years, depending on the environment. If the contaminated object is in a dry environment, the potency of the urushiol can last for decades, says Epstein. Even if the environment is warm and moist, the urushiol could still cause a reaction a year later.
"One of the stories I tell people is of the hunter who gets poison oak on his hunting coat," says Epstein. "He puts it on a year later to go hunting and gets a rash [from the urushiol still on the coat]."
Almost all parts of the body are vulnerable to the sticky urushiol, producing the characteristic linear (in a line) rash. Because the urushiol must penetrate the skin to cause a reaction, places where the skin is thick, such as the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands, are less sensitive to the sap than areas where the skin is thinner. The severity of the reaction may also depend on how big a dose of urushiol the person got.
Quick Action Needed
Because urushiol can penetrate the skin within minutes, there's no time to waste if you know you've been exposed. "The earlier you cleanse the skin, the greater the chance that you can remove the urushiol before it gets attached to the skin," says Hon-Sum Ko, M.D., an allergist and immunologist with FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Cleansing may not stop the initial outbreak of the rash if more than 10 minutes has elapsed, but it can help prevent further spread.
- grows around lakes and streams in the Midwest and the East
- woody, ropelike vine, a trailing shrub on the ground, or a free-standing shrub
- normally three leaflets (groups of leaves all on the same small stem coming off the larger main stem), but may vary from groups of three to nine
- leaves are green in the summer and red in the fall
- yellow or green flowers and white berries
- eastern (from New Jersey to Texas) grows as a low shrub; western (along the Pacific coast) grows to 6-foot-tall clumps or vines up to 30 feet long
- oak-like leaves, usually in clusters of three
- clusters of yellow berries
- grows in boggy areas, especially in the Southeast
- rangy shrub up to 15 feet tall
- seven to 13 smooth-edged leaflets
- glossy pale yellow or cream-colored berries
About Poison Oak Soap
Our Poison Oak Soap was formulated in the Spring of 1999. The formulator wanted to produce a product that would remove the poison oak oil from the skin and speed healing once the rash had started. After market testing thousands of bars, the workers at the Poison Oak Company feel confident that they have done just that. When used after contact most people never get a rash at all and when used after a rash has started, healing is greatly accelerated. Our soap is a completely natural blend of essential oils, herbs, extracts, clay, oatmeal and glycerin soap. Our soap does not contain any artificial ingredients, dyes or scents and best of all IT REALLY WORKS!
How Does Poison Oak Soap Work?
First: Our soap has a mechanical action that pulls the oils off of the skin.
Second: Our soap contains herbs that have a natural antihistamine action which helps stop itching and redness.
Third: Our soap contains herbs that promote the healing of the skin.
3.1 ounce bar
Glycerine soap, organic oat bran, Argile montmorillonite, olive oil, lecithin and powder infusions or essential oils of Betula lenta, Salix alba, Morinda citrifolia, Sassafras albidum and Grindelia camporum.
After contact with the poison oak plant, or animals that have been outdoors, lather with the soap and let the lather sit on the skin a few minutes before rinsing with warm water. If a rash has already started it may be neceswsary to repeat use two or three times a day for a few days.
Do not use this soap or any product on borken oozing skin without first consulting your healthcare professional.